Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Are You in a Lion's Den?

You know, the last several days I've been trying to develop a post for this blog and I haven't been able to come up with anything. Last night as I was trying to empty my mind and get ready for a, hopefully, peaceful nights rest the I was reminded of a message I delivered to the students at Toccoa Falls College a few weeks ago. The message was about the last year or so of my life and the lessons I learned during, what seemed to me to be a "dessert" time.

At the end of my message I showed the students a picture that a few of my friends at In Touch Ministries had in their offices. This picture was given to them by Dr. Stanley, senior pastor of First Baptist Church in Atlanta and teacher on the In Touch radio and television program. Below is that picture.


When I first saw this picture I really didn't think much about it. It kind of reminded me of a Sunday school picture used when I was a kid. But the more I looked at it the more something in me said there was something unique about the picture. What was it? What is it about this picture of Daniel that I had to just keep looking. Then it came to me. Daniel had his back TO the lions. Are you kidding me!?!? Why would anyone have their back to man-eating lions? These cats could just taste Daniel and they were waiting for the right moment to pounce.

But if you look at Daniel and the look on his face you don't see fear or desperation or any of the other emotions you would normally have when you are about to be eaten alive. No, you see confidence and security. Daniel is looking up to where his security truly comes from and that has given him peace.

So let me ask you - what lion's den are you in today? Is it financial? Is it relational? Is it occupational? Whatever situation you are in don't look at the problem and be fearful. Look to God for the strength and peace you need to ride out your time in the den. Our Father will not dessert you and will provide a way out of your situation. That is what I need to remind myself of - I am secure in Him.

No comments: